Tuesday 30 April 2013

Helen and Kurt Wolff Translators' Prize to Philip Boehm

As the Goethe Institut announced a while ago (and I only just noticed on one of my regular (but obviously not regular enough) trawls through the Literary Saloon), this year's prestigious Helen and Kurt Wolff Translators' Prize for translations from German to English published in the USA has gone to Philip Boehm for Gregor von Rezzori’s An Ermine in Czernopol. I met Philip, a multilingual theatre director in St Louis, a year or so ago, so I'm very pleased to see him win this award.

Honorable Mention goes to Donald O. White for his translation of A.V. Thelen’s novel The Island of Second Sight. As far as I'm aware, it's White's untiring efforts we have to thank for being able to read this book in English in the first place.

Congratulations to both!


No comments: