Tuesday 6 March 2012

German Embassy Award for Translators To Katy Derbyshire

Ahem. Having encouraged you all to enter the competition, I have unceremoniously scooped the prize for myself. Sorry guys.

But I'm truly excited and honoured to have been chosen as the winner of this year's German Embassy Award for Translators. The runner-up is Helen MacCormac.

I get to spend a month at the Literarisches Colloquium Berlin on the shores of the beautiful Wannsee and to attend the Leipzig Book Fair. I'd like to thank my mum and dad and my daughter and all the judges.

Probably my favourite part of this slightly euphoric post is the combination of tags.

9 comments:

Isabel Bogdan said...

Omygodomygod! Wie toll! Herzlichen Glückwunsch! Ich freu mich! Doll! Ausrufezeichen!

Margaret said...

Congratulations, have tweeted (to a select few). So the prize of a month in Berlin is not just staying at home, that's good.

I see you posted on Philip Oltermann last year. Was reading his book. Very interesting. I see, however, he believes that Watership Down is evidence of the British loving rivers (I know the title in German was a translation howler, Unten am Fluss).

Samuel Willcocks said...

That's excellent news! A change of air in Wannsee will be a boost to whatever you're working on right now as well. When I was there two years ago I even managed a short walk on the ice, in March -- that sets the mind racing, I can tell you.

kjd said...

Thanks everybody! I'm hoping the weather will be warmer this year.

@Margaret: I definitely want to read that one too. I wonder if Oltermann felt the need to contrast the German love of forests with something more British?

Margaret said...

Yes, that's what he was doing, but unlike Wind in the Willows, Three Men in a Boat etc., Watership Down is the top of a hill.

X.Trapnel said...

That's fantastic! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congratulations :)

Although now you probably feel silly about telling everyone else to enter ;)

Anonymous said...

Liebe Kathy, hier ist das Berlinroman-Buch
http://www.goethe.de/kue/lit/aug/de7849430.htm
LG
Nelia

Klaus said...

Dear Katy,
do translate Kempowski's "Alles umsonst".