Friday 16 April 2010

Why I Couldn't Think Of Much To Say

The new issue of New Books in German is online now, opening with a rather fine review of Axolotl Roadkill, if I do say so myself.

The magazine highlights new writing from Germany, Austria and Switzerland - that would make the world a better place if it were translated. And this is a humdinger, featuring an exclusive Herta Müller translation by Donal McLaughlin accompanied by an essay by Lyn Marven; pieces by former German-language writers-in-residence in London; poetry by Günter Eich (trans. Michael Hofmann); and an interview with the Swiss writer Zoe Jenny.

The lovely new editor Charlotte Ryland has done herself proud. Go there and read it all right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I really the only one to hate that book. And to hate it on purely aestetic terms: I think it's awfully awfully written. I can be quite bitchy about the style of some books written in German, but among lauded German writers of prose, Hegemann surely takes the cake. Nothing in there, for me, seems to work as straight prose: it almost seems as if one can only read it at a distance, as a web of quotes and ironic, distanced, refracted statements. Wouldn't anything else make any reader recoil in horror? Am I too much of a curmudgeon?

kjd said...

No, not at all. Loads of people hate it - I'm just in the other camp.

yanmaneee said...

air jordan
kd 10
curry shoes
off white clothing
paul george shoes
jordan shoes
supreme hoodie
yeezy boost 350 v2
kyrie 7 shoes
kobe

toughs said...

helpful site best replica designer see this here replica wallets discover this replica ysl bags

shete said...

review Dolabuy Fendi over at this website Dior Dolabuy go to the website dolabuy.co