Thursday 10 July 2014

Summer Break

I was thinking of writing something about how much or little money authors make in the UK and Germany, and then I was thinking of coming up with something a little more gehaltvoll, but really - the school holidays have started here and there's nothing much happening. I'm going away next week to talk to other translators about how on earth to teach translation, something I'm really looking forward to.

I shall be taking a couple of books, although I don't know how much reading I'll get done. They'll be The Room by Andreas Maier, translated by my lovely friend Jamie Lee Searle, and Ulrike Draesner's newish novel Sieben Sprünge vom Rand der Welt. I'm not sure if the concept of "holiday reading" really works if you're on £11,000 a year like the average British writer, but if you want reading tips from relatively famous people, go to Zeit Online for German writers (snazzy time-wasting layout) and the Times Literary Supplement for Anglophone reviewers. Spoiler: one of my books is recommended, but only if you're a subscriber. And they also tell you to read Olga Grjasnowa, but you knew that already.

I'll be back at some point.

No comments: