Friday 11 September 2009

Hotlist Hots Up

This is so funny. Remember the independent publishers' hotlist - 20 books as an answer to the German Book Prize longlist (seeing as it was made up entirely of titles from "major labels")? Everyone else has got completely hot under the collar about the whole thing, in a huge long foot-stomping tantrum of "Why wasn't I invited? It's not fair!" Turns out the whole thing, in case you hadn't guessed, was a case of small publishers calling each other up and choosing one of their books each until they got to number 20.

Now there's a €5000 prize attached to it too from a bookstore chain, with three newspapers helping to sponsor it as well - and Denis "the pooch" Scheck will be presenting the awards ceremony on 16 October in Frankfurt. I wish I could go. I wish I was invited, but I couldn't go anyway.

But I can vote - from 16 September at www.hotlist2009.de. Hooray!

No comments: